Sunday, April 15, 2007

E-mails [Sunny]

You couldn't believe this --- there're 1583 e-mails in my Gmail a/c inbox!

For certain types of e-mails, I would delete/ mark them as spam right away. Mostly, these cover ads from various companies, both known and unknown, viewing statistics from photo album administrators, together with news updates from local newspaper websites and job opportunities from online job market pages.

For those remaining, I did hit every one of them --- thanks to the working habit cultivated in my current company, I'd open every new note received to have a quick scan on what that's about before I decided to file it in one of those long-listed folders or simply leave it on the main page for action later on --- but, I couldn't ascertain whether I did go into details for each of them. Many of them were about gathering notes I supposed, and more of them are from university or those so-called professional organizations. Should have links to photo albums as well --- with the cutting edge developments of digital cameras, we're taking tones of photos and have them uploaded to numerous photo-storing sites, which you may not click and see each of them anymore after 1 year. Also included were greeting cards and application sign-on instructions or password reminders; statements from cell phone service subscribers and internet service providers ...

These 1583 e-mails were only occupying around 20% of the mailbox storage. I didn't actually know whether I would go through all these once again. Probably because it's free of charge virtually to keep old e-mails from the user perspective, I didn't have the habit of doing house-cleaning for my personal e-mail a/c at all, which I was forced to perform every month for my business e-mail a/c due to company IT policy. Too convenient to store and retrieve and in turn reduced my awareness to them, no matter when they're still brand-new as “Unread” or while they just sat in the “Inbox” page, kept moving backwards from Page 1 of XX to Page 2 of XX, then 3, 4 and 5 ...

Diminishing in values in response to enhancement in technology.

That's why I prefer ordinary mails rather than e-mails. Would you feel happy or warm or excited when receiving e-mails? Sorry, not the case for me; instead, the feeling of getting solid paper mails was always fascinating. Technology embedded our daily lives, what it's improving was speed but not necessarily quality. Indeed, there's trade-off between the two in most cases, even though scientists were working hard to minimize the gap. I've no intention to go into a debate on that, but if I was given the chance to choose, ordinary mails predominate. I'm a person from stone age maybe =P

No comments: