Friday, August 05, 2005

CUHK gathering at HSBC

Cecilia told me that when she took elevator back to our office floor, she met someone from Shaw College CUHK who was 3 years older than her. That guy said he knew another guy from CUHK who worked for placement in another department under CIBM, and arranged for lunch on L28 this afternoon. Cecilia invited me to go with her. No big deal to go, right? and actually I was curious to see what's going on =P

That guy was named Kelvin, who worked as an IT Officer; another guy, named Brian, was attached with financial reporting of CIBM. Kelvin was very talkative, kept on asking me this and that, said that he knew Choy of SCBA and was a close friend of him. Brian has just completed his year 2 Engineering study in CUHK and will work for placement for a year before going back to CUHK.

Soon after the buffet started, I was able to capture a picture of the whole situation. Brian as a student was really glad to meet so many big "sisters and brother" from the same university, and he was quite clever to decide not applying for HSBC right after graduation for his own reasons. Cecilia as a fresh graduate was a 100% honest girl. She told her true feeling without hold back even to strangers, which was a bit dangerous for her future development if she met someone who was cunning. Kelvin as a guy who has graduated for 3 years was a bit over enthusiastic. After he got some basic information, he put too much effort in getting to know others' remuneration package. More than half of his conversation was on that. He couldn't get any pay figure or even pay range from me, as I tactfully avoided that. He started changing the direction to ask what actually were years of experiences, requirement and qualifications needed for my position. Again, I bypassed the question, saying that I was an exception and kept laughing.

After all, I was old enough to see through all these stuffs ...

No comments: