Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Gone with the Wind [Cool & windy]

The idea of watching "Gone with the Wind" suddenly popped up during lunch hour. The desire was so strong that I rang Florence at once, whom I know was longing to watch the movie before leaving for her study in Australia next Monday. I called Emily as well, but she was not that lucky --- she had to complete her work, which meaned she would not be able to catch up with the movie at 7.30pm.

That's how things go. Right before going to the cinema IFC Palace, we went back to PwC. This time, it's Joan's turn. Surprised, right? I always consider Joan as a super-lady who would stand for her dream no matter how harsh the situation is, even under growing pressure from Uncle Sam. Anyway, we just wanna support her regardless on what decision she made finally.

We arrived at the cinema a bit late, with popcorns (and sausages added in during intermission) in our hands which became the tastiest dinner for our night with the great movie. It's no exaggeration to name "Gone with the Wind" as the movie of the era. The feeling of watching it now in my 20s was so different from that during my childhood. To quote what my friend described, "The shine of beauty from Vivien Leigh makes you can't open your eyes". Clark Gable is no way being suppressed by the beauty of Vivien Leigh. To be honest, I NEVER thought of using the word "handsome" for Clark Gable; but his wisdom, his caring, his courage, his kindness, his sense of humour, his love for Scarlett ... all were so touching which turned him into a very attractive gentleman. Yes, he's a gentleman. So attractive, I like him so much.

Scarlett went blind for her illusion on Ashley, that coward Ashley, using her cleverness to achieve all that she wanted and ready to give up all that she owned. Arrogance and jealousy covered up Scarlett's deepest love for Rhett. Why people can realize what is the most valuable thing only when they are about to lose them? Why can't they be honest to their innermost voice? Why can't they stop doing stuffs which deeply hurt their beloved ones? Why dare not people facing the reality?

The feeling is really complex and difficult after watching the movie. So sour that I wanna cry on my way back home. My cerebrum kept projecting scenes from the movie, questions kept turning, never stop thinking.

Rhett left Scarlett. Who knows the future? There's such a burning wish on my mind --- Rhett would return. For love. For his beloved pearl Scarlett. He would not leave her alone. Never. Never.

No comments: